- 1. The Struggle of The Magicians part three - Gurdjieff / de Hartmann
- 2. Pompeii 76 A.D. - Gail Laughton
- 3. Gongs In The Rain - Nesta Kerin Crain
- 4. Witch's Will - Wilburn Burchette
- 5. Iasos - Formentera Sunset Clouds
- 6. Seventh Chakra Keynote B (violet) - Steven Halpern
- 7. Seraphic Borealis - Joel Andrews
- 8. Om Mani Padme Hum - Constance Demby
- 9. Arabian Fantasy - Daniel Emmanuel
- 10. Awakening (excerpt) - Don Slepian
- 11. Unicorns In Paradise (excerpt) - Laraaji
- 12. Glide V - Peter Davison
- 13. Lifting Off - Joanna Brouk
- 14. As The Earth Kissed The Moon (excerpt) - Michael Stearns
- 15. Tien Fu: Heaven's Gate (excerpt) - Aeoliah
- 16. Blue Spirals - Daniel Kobialka
- 17. Two Souls Dance - Larkin
- 18. Li Sun - Judith Tripp
- 19. Lunar Eclipse (excerpt) - Mark Banning
- 20. Waterfall Winds - Alice Damon
I Am The Center: Private Issue New Age Music In America 1950-1990
- "Clear Wax" version = 3xLP Box on clear vinyl (limited to first 150 pre-orders)
Out of Stock Formats:
- 2xCD $15 WISH
CLEAR VINYL IS SOLD OUT! THANK YOU!
AVAILABLE: OCTOBER 29, 2013
“Sound created the universe. It wasn’t a word. Sound created atoms; sound and light are the original manifesting principles for worlds… A musician sources that primeval, eternal sound, and it comes out as music.” – Constance Demby
Forget everything you know, or think you know, about new age, a genre that has become one of the defining musical-archaeological explorations of the past decade.
I Am The Center: Private Issue New Age In America, 1950-1990 is the first major anthology to survey the golden age of new age and reveal the unbelievable truth about the genre.
For new age, at its best, is a reverberation of psychedelic music, and great by any standard. This is analog, handmade music communicating soul and spirit, often done on limited means and without commercial potential, self-published and self-distributed. Before it became big business and devolved into the spaced out elevator music we know and loathe today, this was the real thing.
From mathematical musical algorithms to airport murder mysteries to Henry Mancini and Bugs Bunny, the connections to mainstream culture run in curious directions. (Did you know, for instance, that a track from the first modern private press new age album is featured on the Blade Runner soundtrack? It’s called “Pompeii, 76 A.D.”, and we’ve got it here.)
I Am The Center is a knowing, but never cynical overview that invites listeners at last to the mainspring of a misunderstood genre’s greatest lights. Many of the biggest names are present — Iasos, inter-dimentional channeler of “paradise music”; Laraaji, discovered by Brian Eno playing for spare change in Washington Square Park; and the recently famous JD Emmanuel, icon to a new generation of drone, ambient, noise musicians. Call it what you will — before it was anything else, it was new age.
Lovingly conceived and lavishly presented, I Am The Center features stunning paintings by the legendary visual artist Gilbert Williams, and liner notes by producer Douglas Mcgowan, who weaves the words and images of the wizards and sorceresses of new age into a prismatic portrait of music that can finally be recognized for what it is: great American folk art.
- 2xCD housed in deluxe tip-on gatefold jacket with 44-page book
- 3xLP housed in slip case w/ 3 tip-on jackets, 20-page book, and download card
- Both formats with notes by Douglas Mcgowan featuring interviews with artists and includes rare archive photos.
- Artwork by Gilbert Williams and Janaia Donaldson.
- 2 unreleased tracks, 7 others previously only on cassette
- Vinyl cut by John Golden. Pressed at RTI.
- Remastered from original sources at 24 bit/ 96 kHz