- 1. Satan Is Real - "Satan Is Real"
- 2. There's A Higher Power - "Satan Is Real"
- 3. The Christian Life - "Satan Is Real"
- 4. The River Jordan - "Satan Is Real"
- 5. The Kneeling Drunkard's Plea - "Satan Is Real"
- 6. Are You Afraid To Die - "Satan Is Real"
- 7. He Can Be Found - "Satan Is Real"
- 8. Dying From Home, And Lost - "Satan Is Real"
- 9. The Drunkard's Doom - "Satan Is Real"
- 10. Satan's Jeweled Crown - "Satan Is Real"
- 11. The Angels Rejoiced Last Night - "Satan Is Real"
- 12. I'm Ready To Go Home - "Satan Is Real"
- 13. Almost Persuaded - Handpicked by Mark Lanegan
- 14. My Baby's Gone - Handpicked by Graham Nash
- 15. The Great Atomic Power - Handpicked by Beck
- 16. I See A Bridge - Handpicked by Emmylou Harris
- 17. Alabama - Handpicked by Will Oldham
- 18. When I Stop Dreaming - Handpicked by Lucinda Williams
- 19. Low And Lonely - Handpicked by Jim James
- 20. Knoxville Girl - Handpicked by Kris Kristofferson
- 21. Scared Of The Blues - Handpicked by Devendra Banhart
- 22. Don't Laugh - Handpicked by Chris Hillman
- 23. You're Running Wild - Handpicked by Zooey Deschanel
- 24. Are You Afraid To Die - Handpicked by The Black Angels
- 25. Cash On The Barrel Head - Handpicked by Dolly Parton
- 26. I Wish It Had Been A Dream - Handpicked by M. Ward
The Louvin Brothers
Satan Is Real / Handpicked Songs 1955-1962
Light In The Attic
Simply put, Alabama natives Ira and Charlie Louvin are country music pioneers, Baptist blood brothers known for their trademark close harmony vocal style, mandolin magic, and emotive material ranging from spiritual standards, well-crafted covers to influential originals. The Louvin Brothers’ holy, honest, and soul affirming sound—recorded on a series of formative releases on the Decca label in the early 1940’s—tapped deep into the pair’s rural religious upbringing in a strictly gospel fashion. By the time they signed with Capitol Records in 1952, they were tried and tested road warriors and found themselves branching out into more secular content and delivery. In 1955, the duo was accepted as performers into Nashville country institution the Grand Ole Opry, cementing their reputation as the best in the business.
But there was also a dark underside to the chart-topping hit maker’s righteous exterior. Older brother Ira, a foot taller than the diminutive yet no less formidable Charlie, had developed a serious drinking problem. Amplified by a feisty temper and a series of failed marriages, his wild child nature became more of a liability than asset to the show business pair. In 1963, Charlie had enough, and with self-preservation in mind, quit the Louvin Brothers. Though both soldiered on as solo acts, Ira succumbed to his fiery demons in 1965 and lost his life in a horrific drunk driving accident (ironically, the fault of the driver of the other car). Pushing ahead as a much loved and respected country music ambassador and proud gatekeeper of the Louvin’s legacy until his passing in early 2011, we are still grieving Charlie’s departure. Light In The Attic Records is honored to help share this American institution with fans young and old through a series of archival re-releases.
Satan Is Real / Handpicked Songs 1955-1962 (LITA 075, 2xCD + Audio Commentary Download) is a double shot of Louvin Brothers magic, pairing the duo’s heralded 1959 studio album and a star studded curatorial compilation featuring 14 tracks performed by the Louvin Brothers and personally selected by the likes of Beck, Emmylou Harris, Will Oldham, Kris Kristofferson, Jim James, Dolly Parton & more, all housed in a 40-page booklet with period archival photos, and extensive liner notes along with meticulously re-mastered audio from the original tapes. Morning, noon or night, let the Louvin Brothers take you to a simpler time, when good old country music ruled the airwaves.
ALSO AVAILABLE DEC 2011:
Satan Is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers [Hardcover]
- Release Date – November 8th
- Featuring lovingly remastered audio—from the original mono tapes!
- Deluxe 2-Disc set with archive photos, original album covers, LP-style CD sleeves and 40-page booklet with new liner notes by Jessica Hundley (Grievous Angel: The Intimate Biography of Gram Parsons)
- Comes with info in booklet to download an exclusive Audio Commentary by Charlie Louvin on the Louvin Brothers’ landmark 1959 album Satan Is Real, recorded in Nashville, June 2010.