- Original Release Date: September 29, 1998
“Deserter’s Songs is at once a lullaby, a trip, and a triumph.”
-9.3/10 – Pitchfork (Top 100 Albums of the 1990’s)
“A modern classic.” – NME
In 1998 Mercury Rev delivered the unexpected, a hit album. Deserter’s Songs, the fourth studio long player from the New York-based band not only delivered three UK Top 40 singles, but also struck cultural pay dirt across the globe that still resonates today.
Fully cementing Mercury Rev’s rebirth as purveyors of a cosmic brand of the popular American songbook, Deserter’s Songs is an album of grandiose proportions. Merging jazz, folk, sweeping orchestration, and a dose of 60’s rock, the album was intended as the band’s swan song and therefore made with utter abandon. However, it became the band’s most acclaimed platter and remains one of the essential records of the past 25 years. Deserter’s Songs was released to huge worldwide acclaim and went on to be named album of the year in 1998 by NME, MOJO and many other publications, quickly propelling the legendary iconoclasts into living rooms worldwide and pioneered the launch of a new genre of music, heard today in bands like Arcade Fire and Beirut.
Originally released on V2 Records, Deserter’s Songs was chosen as the first release on our new imprint, Modern Classics Recordings. Modern Classics’ Deserter’s Songs is the first LP reissue of this landmark album, long overdue if you ask us. Beautiful audio re-master comes courtesy of co-producer and original Mercury Rev member David Fridmann, pressed on 180-gram vinyl, and housed in an expanded gatefold “tip-on” jacket with 4-page insert. Each copy will receive a free download card for two live tracks plus an exclusive audio commentary/interview *with the band while *100 randomly selected albums will include a photo personally autographed by Mercury Rev’s Jonathan Donahue and Grasshopper.
- RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 1ST, 2011
- First release on Light In The Attic Records’ new imprint Modern Classics Recordings
- First vinyl reissue of Mercury Rev’s 1998 masterpiece
- Newly re-mastered by co-producer David Fridmann
- 180-gram LP housed in expanded gatefold jacket with 4-page insert
- Includes free download card for 2 live tracks plus an exclusive Audio Commentary interview with the band
- 100 random copies include photo autographed by Mercury Rev’s Jonathan Donahue & Grasshopper